Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Peer Complaining?

So after I dropped Sophia off at preschool, I finally get to turn off Elmo and tune into a radio station...any station but Elmo.  And, what do I hear?  Holiday music!

I was thinking to myself, "REally? You got to be kidding!  I haven't have my turkey yet!!  And, Holiday music already?"  Then, I asked myself, "So, what if they are playing Holiday music before Thanksgiving?  Haven't I used to say that the Holiday season is too short and I get sad when the stations stop playing Holiday songs right after Christmas?  Isn't this great that I get to listen to these music a week longer than other years?" 

To be quite honest, "YES!"  I love that I can get to enjoy the Holidays a little longer this year.  So, then how come I was complaining?  Then I realized that I was doing an automatic response.  I have heard my friends around me complaining about how the retailers are pushing the Holiday season upon the comsumers to spend more.  And, so, here I am, just joining the crowd.  I coined it, peer complaining.  I find that so interesting!! I really have not real reasons of my own to complain except that is what everyone around me is doing...thus, the auto response!!! 

Hmmm...so, here is my question for you.  How often do you complain out of an auto response, just like everyone else is doing?  The next time when you catch yourself complaining, take a moment to find out if you are truly complaining about the issue or just doing what everyone else is doing! 

As for me, as soon as I realized that I don't really have an issue with the early Holiday season around me, I expressed my gratitude for the Holiday music and really enjoying it.  Especially during the early holiday travels that are showing up.  I really didn't mind sitting in the car longer because I have those beautiful music to accompany me.  And, it gave me such pleasure to see little Sophia, falling asleep listening to Bing Crosby's "White Christmas".  Now, that's such a beautiful way to start my Holiday.

Happy Holidays to all of you and may this Blessed time of the year visits you and stays with you a little longer.

Your Fearless Coach,
Coach Shirley

No comments:

Post a Comment